A Composite fillings is a tooth-colored plastic and glass mixture used to restore decayed teeth. Composites are also used for cosmetic improvements of the smile by changing the color of the teeth or reshaping disfigured teeth. Composite resins, or tooth-colored fillings, provide good durability and resistance to fracture in small- to mid-size fillings that need to withstand moderate pressure from the constant stress of chewing. They can be used on either front or back teeth. They are a good choice for people who prefer that their fillings look more natural.
What is a composite filling?
Composite tooth fillings:
are a mixture of glass or quartz filler in resin
are tooth-colored and long lasting
are sometimes called composites or filled resins
allow the dentist to remove less of the tooth when the dentist prepares it for the filling. As a result, the filling may be smaller than an amalgam filling
Need Composite filling? Click
here to make an appointment
- Tooth coloured fillings.
- Restore and mimic natural appearance of tooth structure.
- In addition to restoring teeth which have fractured or decay tooth coloured fillings may also be used to change the size, shape, colour of the teeth.
- They can be used in front/back teeth.
- They bond to tooth structure chemically and thus do not require placement of slots/grooves in healthy tooth structure for mechanical retention.
- They completely harden in seconds.
- If damaged, can be repaired.